Saturday, February 04, 2006

Beaver Creek 2/4

[Updated with pictures.]

Conditions: powder, packed powder
Weather: low twenties
Gear: skis


Day number six in a row for me! I've never skied that many days in a row, but it was worth it. Vail reportedly got 41" the week I was there. And I had to make a few more runs before heading back home.

My goal for the day was to make it over the Birds of Prey downhill and ski that. This was the World Championship course from 1999 and a regular host of a World Cup Downhill each year. And it's steep! The first pitch was awesome and quite icy to boot. I can't even imagine what it must be like to ski at 60 mph. This is the third World Cup/Olympic downhill course I've skied: Lake Placid (1980 Olympics), Snowbasin (2002 Olympics), and Beaver Creek (1999 World Championships). I have a tremendous amount of respect for the athletes that do this for a career.


(Looking down at Avon from Grouse Mtn.)


("Reneglade".)

After a few more runs across the mountain, I loaded the ski gear in the car for the 6 hour drive back home. Not a bad week of vacation at all.


(Parting shot.)

'til later,
- Jeff

No comments: