Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Alta 1/2

Conditions: packed powder
Weather: near 30, partly cloudy
Gear: Rossignol Z9 skis

Tuesday I made it up to Alta for the second time this season. The snow is definitely better than it was opening weekend! While you still have to keep your eyes open for rocks, the coverage is generally pretty good. Though I'm really hoping this storm coming at the end of the week brings us a little more powder.

I spent most of the morning on the Collins side of the mountain. Long runs top-to-bottom covering a nice sample of the available terrain. I even made a few runs off Wildcat. Then bumps in Punch Bowl were nice and gentle and didn't beat me up too bad!


(View from top of Supreme.)

After lunch at the Watson Shelter, I decided to check out the other side of the mountain. I had a bunch of nice runs off Supreme before the lines picked up. I'm was too impatient to wait (imagine that!) and enjoyed a few groomers off Sugarloaf before heading back.

As I've said before, I really love this mountain. Lots of great memories of skiing during grad school and awesome terrain. I can't wait to hit it on a powder day. Keep your fingers crossed for snow!

'til next time,
- Jeff

No comments: