Saturday, December 09, 2006

Solitude 12/9

[Sorry ... coupla days behind. I'll get caught up soon. I promise!]


Conditions: packed powder
Weather: sunny, chilly
Gear: Volkl 7 24 Pro skis

Went up to Solitude on Saturday. It was a beautiful day. As usual, Solitude wasn't crowded at all. And the snow was nice, though we could use a little more.


It had been a few years since I had skied Solitude. I used to have a pass there during grad school, but haven't skied there much since then. There is some really nice terrain, especially off the Summit lift.

The terrain in Honeycomb Canyon is also awesome. They didn't have the lift back there last time I was there and it's a welcome addition. That cat track out of there used to be torture on a snowboard! It still takes a few lifts (Sunrise and Summit or the *looonnnggggg* Powderhorn) to make laps in Honeycomb, but it's really worth it.




(Honeycomb Canyon from the top of Summit lift.)

One thing I realized was how spoiled I've become! The last few years I've done most of my skiing and riding at the Park City resorts: Park City and Deer Valley. Almost all the lifts at those resorts are high-speed lifts. Unfortunately, Solitude only has the one high-speed quad and there's so much great terrain that it doesn't service. It means spending a lot of time riding the slower lifts. But your reward is that you usually have the resort to yourself. Tradeoffs! :)

'til next time,

- Jeff

No comments: