Sunday, December 17, 2006

Deer Valley 12/16-17

Conditions: powder!
Weather: twenties, snowy
Gear: Volkl 7 24 Pro skis


So, we finally got some serious snow this weekend! A storm moved in Friday and it snowed about 2 feet between then and Sunday night. This made for some awesome skiing both Saturday and Sunday!

Saturday I headed up to Deer Valley for a great day of skiing. Cars were already parked out to Lot 5 when I got there, but I didn't see any of the crowd on the slopes. The snow (5" as of the morning report) was wonderful.

Sunday was even better. They were reporting another 10" overnight and it was at least that! If you got off the side of the trail or in the trees, you could easily find knee-deep powder with spots where it was even deeper. This was the best day of the year so far!

I had my first face-plant in a long time on Sunday afternoon. It was my last run of the day and started down Success then veered off under the Silver Lake Express lift. There's a nice little pitch there that had only 3 sets of tracks. I was making some nice turns and even caught a little air off the cat track. But right where the hill leveled off and merged with Solid Muldoon, the powder got really deep and my skis stopped cold! Both rear bindings ejected simultaneously and I went face first in the snow. I wound up with my goggles around my mouth and a helmet full of snow! But it was totally worth it! And I'm sure the folks on that chair got a good laugh.

Sorry no pics. On account of the cloudy, snowy weather, I didn't take my camera. But I'll get some shots for you next time I go.

'til next time,
- Jeff

No comments: